Pledges: Our shared future
- We will create a lead Council Member for Climate Change
A new powerful position will be created at the Council with a remit to steer through the climate change agenda. This person will have power of veto over many Council decisions that could adversely affect our carbon neutral agenda.
- We will Create Green Enterprise Schemes with interest free loans, for small innovative business ideas.
A new Labour Council will launch an interest free loans scheme for Green Business Ventures.
We will launch a new Council Bond scheme. This will allow local people to invest, for fixed period, into the Green Enterprise Initiative. There will guarantee people returns on their investments built into the financial profiling of these loans. This will give all of us the opportunity to invest in our futures.
Labour wants to unleash access to finance for bold new environmental initiatives such as insulation works, energy efficiency systems and food growing projects.
Green Enterprise Loans will be available to voluntary groups, micro business, schools and colleges, charities etc.
- We will review Local Planning Policy so that all applications for large new housing developments must meet new ‘green criteria’
Labour believes that all new housing applications, and large retail or community facilities, should not be permitted without electric vehicle charging points being installed.
Labour wants planning policies to be investigated further to look at the feasibility of new conditions mandating building companies to install clean energy and water efficiency systems on all new developments.
- A Future Labour Council will explore the option of generating clean and cheap energy for our residents
We have many natural resources within our reach, such as the reservoirs, the rivers, the sun, the underground heat source and the wind. These sources of energy can all be harnessed in a clean and affordable way for us all to benefit.
- Working with schools, colleges and the University to ensure that Bolton people are qualified for the green jobs of the future.
As a part of our skills agenda, Labour will encourage the development of green micro businesses in schools and of the early introduction to community and voluntary work, including young people being our recycling ambassadors.