Pledges: Our shared future
Our shared future
There is nothing more important than the future of our planet. Climate change is an established reality, and we must all play our part, no matter how small, to do our bit in reducing the ‘carbon footprint’ and protecting the future of the next generation.
A Labour Council will initiate a number of new policies for our ‘shared future’.
Create a Cabinet Member for Climate Change:
- A new powerful position will be created at the council with a remit to steer through our Climate Change Agenda.
- In order to ensure a concentrated focus in this area, this new position will have an overarching remit over many council decisions, with the option of veto over decisions that could adversely affect our carbon neutral agenda.
We will Create Green Enterprise Loans:
- We will launch an interest free loans scheme for small, innovative ‘green’ business ideas.
- We will seek to part fund this through a new Green Deal Bond scheme. This will allow local people to invest into the Green Enterprise Initiative. There will be a guaranteed return on these investments, built into the financial profiling of the loans.
- We will seek to unleash access to finance for bold new environmental projects such as insulation works, energy efficiency systems, food growing projects and recycling initiatives.
- These loans will be available to voluntary groups, micro businesses, schools and colleges etc.
Review local planning policy to make it for the changing world
- We believe that all new housing developments, public buildings and retail buildings, should not be permitted without adequate electrical vehicle charging points.
- We will further review all local planning policies to ensure that wherever possible conditions should be imposed on new buildings that mandate the installation of clean and efficient energy and water efficiency systems.
Explore the option of generating cheap, clean energy locally for our residents:
- We have many natural resources within our reach, such as the reservoirs, the rivers, the sun, underground heat sources and the wind. These sources for energy production can be harnessed in a clean and affordable way for us all to benefit.
- A Labour Council will set up a Partnership Task Force that will seek to make this pledge a reality.
Work with education partners to educate on green jobs:
- As a part of our skills agenda, we will work with schools, colleges, the University and employers to ensure that the young people of Bolton are best equipped for the green job market of the future.
- We will encourage the development of Green Micro Businesses in schools and colleges, by utilising Green Enterprise Loans.
- Working with schools, we want to introduce new community and voluntary opportunities within the green agenda, including the development of young people as our Recycling Ambassadors.
Encouraging Sustainable travel:
- We will work with the Greater Manchester Mayor and other agencies to encourage alternative travel to car, such as walking, cycling, and public transport.
- We believe that only by having an affordable, clean, reliable and safe public transport system will significant numbers make the shift to this option. We will play a full part in the efforts made by the GM Mayor to achieve this.
- Walking routes must be safe, well lit and clean and a Labour Council will invest in improving well used routes.
- We do not believe that charging car owners is ever the solution to getting older polluting cars off our roads, and instead believe that generous government grant schemes for vehicle scrappage or upgrade is always the solution to cleaner air.